Solar hot water rebates
What you could get back with a solar hot water system
There are a number of rebates and incentives available in Australia that could help reduce the cost of installing a solar hot water system. And depending on your situation you could be eligible for more than one.
To be eligible for rebates, your new solar hot water system must:
- be replacing your existing electric storage hot water system
- be purchased and installed after 19 February 2010
- be a solar or heat pump hot water system eligible for at least 20 Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) at the time and place of installation (read more about STCs below)
- be installed by a qualified person (for example an electrician or plumber)
- be installed at your main place of residence.
There are two categories of rebates available:
There are two main Federal government schemes which offer rebates:
Renewable Energy Bonus Scheme
Established to assist property owners to save money on energy costs and reduce carbon emissions at the same time. You’re eligible for this rebate only when you replace an electric storage hot water system, with a solar or heat pump hot water system. You could receive:
- a rebate of $1,000 for the installation of a solar hot water system
- a rebate of $600 for a heat pump hot water system
STCs buy back incentives
When you purchase an eligible solar hot water system, you receive a number of Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) depending on the system’s size and your location. The more energy efficient the system – the more STCs you receive. AGL will help you work out which solar hot water system will suit your situation, and purchase the STCs you receive - reducing the upfront out-of-pocket expenses.
In addition to the Federal Government rebates available, the Victorian State Government offers some great incentives for installing a solar hot water system. To qualify you must:
- Meet the relevant solar hot water system size and performance criteria
- Complete the installation of your solar hot water before 31 December 2010.
What is available?
If you qualify you could receive Victorian Energy Efficiency Certificates (VEECs), which are provided when an approved energy efficiency technology (like solar hot water) is installed. The amount of VEECs you receive depends on the energy efficiency level of your new system, as well as your location and the type of system you’re replacing.
If you meet the criteria, and depending on whether your home is located within regional or metropolitan Victoria, you could be eligible for a rebate of between $300 and $1,600.
AGL (and other large electricity retailers) can buy your VEECs when you purchase your new solar hot water system, and claim the rebate on your behalf. We use the rebate as a discount on the system purchased, reducing your upfront out-of-pocket expenses.
Visit the Victorian Energy Efficiency Target Scheme website here for more information.
Now you know what you could get back, find out how the installation process works here.